Shortening the Prayer

Section: Joining Two Prayers when Settled and when Travelling


Book 9, Number 9.1.1:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Da'ud ibn al-Husayn from al-Araj from Abu Hurayra that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, joined dhuhr and asr on his journey to Tabuk.


Book 9, Number 9.1.2:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Abu'z-Zubayr al-Makki from Abu't-Tufayl Amir ibn Wathila that Muadh ibn Jabal told him that they went out with the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, in the year of Tabuk, and the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, joined dhuhr with asr and maghrib with isha. Muadh said, "One day he delayed the prayer, and then came out and prayed dhuhr and asr together. Then he said, 'Tomorrow you will come, insha' llah, to the spring of Tabuk. But you will not get there until well into the morning. No one who arrives should touch any of its water until I come.' We came to it and two men had got to it before us and the spring was dripping with a little water. The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, asked them, 'Have you touched any of its water?' They said, 'Yes.' The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, reviled them and said what Allah wished him to say. Then they took water with their hands from the spring little by little until it had been collected in something. Then the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, washed his face and hands in it. Then he put it back into the spring and the spring flowed with an abundance of water and the people drew water from it. The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, 'If you live long enough, Muadh, you will soon see this place filled with gardens.' "


Book 9, Number 9.1.3:

3 Yahya related to me from Malik from Nafi that Abdullah ibn Umar said, "The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, used to join maghrib and isha together when it was urgent to travel."


Book 9, Number 9.1.4:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Abu'z Zubayr al-Makki from Said ibn Jubayr that Abdullah ibn Abbas said, "The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, prayed dhuhr and asr together and maghrib and isha together, and not out of fear nor because of travelling." Malik said, "I believe that was during rain."


Book 9, Number 9.1.5:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Nafi that Abdullah ibn Umar used to join the prayer along with the amirs if they joined maghrib and isha in the rain.


Book 9, Number 9.1.6:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab that he had asked Salim ibn Abdullah, "Can you join dhuhr and asr when travelling?" He said, "Yes, there is no harm in that. Haven't you seen the people pray on Arafa?"


Book 9, Number 9.1.7:

Yahya related to me from Malik that he had heard that AIi ibn Husain used to say, "The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, would join dhuhr and asr if he wished to travel the same day, and he would join maghrib and isha if he wished to travel the same night."

Section: Shortening the Prayer in Travel


Book 9, Number 9.2.8:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab from a man of the family of Khalid ibn Asid that he said to Abdullah ibn Umar, "Abu Abd ar-Rahman, we find the fear prayer and the prayer when settled mentioned in the Qur'an, but we do not find any mention of the travelling prayer in it." Ibn Umar said, "Son of my brother! Allah the Mighty and Majestic sent us Muhammad, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and we know nothing. We only do as we saw him doing."


Book 9, Number 9.2.9:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Salih ibn Kaysan from Urwa ibn az-Zubayr that A'isha, the wife of the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "The prayer was prescribed as two rakas, both when settled and when travelling. Then the travelling prayer was kept as it was, and an increase was made in the prayer when settled. "


Book 9, Number 9.2.10:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Yahya ibn Said that he said to Salim ibn Abdullah, "What is the latest you have seen your father delay maghrib while on a journey?" and Salim replied, "One time the sun set when we were at Dhat al-Jaysh and he prayed maghrib at al-Aqiq."

Section: Circumstances in Which the Prayer Has To Be Shortened


Book 9, Number 9.3.11:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Nafi that Abdullah ibn Umar, shortened the prayer when he left for hajj or umra at Dhu'l Hulayfa.


Book 9, Number 9.3.12:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab from Salim ibn Abdullah that his father rode to Rim and shortened the prayer on the journey.

Malik said, "That was about four mail-stages." (approximately forty-eight miles).


Book 9, Number 9.3.13:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Nafi from Salim ibn Abdullah that Abdullah ibn Umar rode to Dhat an-Nusub and shortened the prayer on the journey.

Malik said, "There are four mail-stages between Dhat an-Nusub and Madina."


Book 9, Number 9.3.14:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Nafi from Ibn Umar that he used to travel to Khaybar and he would shorten the prayer.


Book 9, Number 9.3.15:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab from Salim ibn Abdullah that Abdullah ibn Umar used to shorten the prayer when he travelled for a whole day.


Book 9, Number 9.3.16:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Nafi that he used to travel one mail-stage with Ibn Umar, and he would not shorten the prayer.


Book 9, Number 9.3.17:

Yahya related to me from Malik that he had heard that Abdullah ibn Abbas used to shorten the prayer when he travelled a distance equivalent to that between Makka and Ta'if, and that between Makka and Usfan and that between Makka and Jedda.

Malik said, "That is four mail-stages, and to me that is the most preferable distance for shortening the prayer."

Malik said, "Someone who intends to travel does not shorten the prayer until he has left the houses of the village. And he does not do it in full until he comes to the first houses of the village, or is nearby."

Section: The Prayer of a Traveller when Undecided whether to Remain in a Place or Not


Book 9, Number 9.4.18:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab from Salim ibn Abdullah that Abdullah ibn Umar used to say, "I pray the prayerof a traveller as long as I am undecided whether to remain somewhere or not, even if I am detained for twelve nights."


Book 9, Number 9.4.19:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Nafi that Ibn Umar stayed in Makka for ten nights, shortening the prayer, except when he prayed it behind an imam, in which case he followed the imam's prayer.

9.5 Doing the Full Prayer when One Decides to Remain in a Place

Section: Doing the Full Prayer when One Decides to Remain in a Place


Book 9, Number 9.5.20:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ata al-Khurasani that he heard Said ibn al Musayyab say, "A traveller who has decided to remain somewhere for four nights does the prayer in full."

Malik said, "That is what I prefer most out of what I have heard."

Malik when asked about the prayer of a prisoner, said, "It is the same as the prayer of a person who remains in one place, except if he is travelling."

Section: The Prayer of a Traveller when Imam, or Behind an Imam


Book 9, Number 9.6.21:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab from Salim ibn Abdullah from his father that Umar ibn al-Khattab, when he went to Makka, used to lead them in prayer and do two rakas and then say, "People of Makka,complete the prayer, we are a group travelling."

Yahya related the same as that to me from Malik from Zayd ibn Aslam from his father from Umar ibn al-Khattab.


Book 9, Number 9.6.22:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Nafi that Abdullah ibn Umar used to pray four rakas behind the imam at Mina, and when he prayed by himself he would pray two rakas.


Book 9, Number 9.6.23:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab that Safwan said, "Abdullah ibn Umar used to come and visit Abdullah ibn Safwan and he would pray two rakas with us, and when he went away we would stand and complete the prayer."

Section: Voluntary Prayers while Travelling, by Day and at Night, and Praying on a Riding Beast


Book 9, Number 9.7.24:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Nafi that Abdullah ibn Umar never used to pray anything with the fard prayer, either before it or after it, while travelling, except in the depths of the night. He would pray on the ground or on his mount, whichever way it was facing.


Book 9, Number 9.7.25:

Yahya related to me from Malik that he had heard that al-Qasim ibn Muhammad and Urwa ibn az-Zubayr and Abu Bakr ibn Abd ar Rahman used to pray nawafil when travelling.

Yahya said that Malik was asked about voluntary prayers when travelling and he said, "There is no harm in them, either at night or during the day. I have heard that some of the people of knowledge used to do that."


Book 9, Number 9.7.26:

Yahya related to me that Malik said, "I have heard from Nafi that Abdullah ibn Umar used to see his son, Ubaydullah ibn Abdullah, doing voluntary prayers on a journey,and he would not disapprove of it."


Book 9, Number 9.7.27:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Amr ibn Yahya al-Mazini from Abu'l-Hubab Said ibn Yasar that Abdullah ibn Umar said, "I saw the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, praying on a donkey while heading towards Khaybar."


Book 9, Number 9.7.28:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Abdullah ibn Dinar from Abdullah ibn Umar that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, used to pray on his mount while travelling, whichever way it was facing. Abdullah ibn Dinar said, "Abdullah ibn Umar would also do that."


Book 9, Number 9.7.29:

Yahya related to me from Malik that Yahya ibn Said said, "I saw Anas ibn Malik on a journey praying on a donkey facing away from the qibla. He did the raka and the sajda by motioning with his head, without putting his face on anything."

Section: The Prayer of Duha


Book 9, Number 9.8.30:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Musa ibn Maysara from Abu Murra, the mawla of Aqil ibn Abi Talib, that Umm Hani bint Abi Talib told him that in the year of the conquest the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, prayed eight rakas, covering himself with one garment.


Book 9, Number 9.8.31:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Abu'n Nadr, the mawla of Umar ibn Ubaydullah, that Abu Murra, the mawla of Aqil ibn Abi Talib, told him that he had heard Umm Hani bint Abi Talib say, "I went to the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, in the year of the conquest and found him doing ghusl while his daughter Fatima, was screening him with a garment. I said to him, 'Peace be upon you' and he said, 'Who is that?' I replied, 'Umm Hani bint Abi Talib,' and he said, 'Welcome, Umm Hani!' When he had finished his ghusl, he stood and prayed eight rakas, covering himself with one garment, and then came away. I said, 'Messenger of Allah, the son of my mother, AIi, says that he is determined to kill so-and-so, son of Hubayra, a man I have placed under my protection.' The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, 'We give protection to whoever you have given protection to, Umm Hani.' "

Umm Hani related that this incident happened in the morning.


Book 9, Number 9.8.32:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab from Urwa ibn az-Zubayr that A'isha, the wife of the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "I never once saw the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, doing the voluntary prayer of duha, but I myself do it. Sometimes the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, would refrain from a practice that he loved to do, fearing that people would do the same and it would become fard for them ."


Book 9, Number 9.8.33:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Zayd ibn Aslam from A'isha that she used to pray duha with eight rakas, and she would say, "I would never stop doing them even if my parents were to be brought back to life."

Section: General Remarks concerning the Voluntary Prayer of Duha


Book 9, Number 9.9.34:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ishaq ibn Abdullah ibn Abi Talha from Anas ibn Malik that his grandmother, Mulayka, invited the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, for food and he ate some of it. Then the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Get up and I will lead you in prayer."

Anas said, "I stood up and took a woven mat belonging to us that had become black through long use and sprinkled it with water, and the Messengerof Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, stood on it. The orphan and I formed a row behind him, and the old woman stood behind us. He prayed two rakas with us and then left."


Book 9, Number 9.9.35:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab that Ubaydullah ibn Abdullah ibn Utba said, "I visited Umar ibn al-Khattab just before noon and found him praying a voluntary prayer. So I stood behind him, but he pulled me nearer and put me next to him, on his right hand side, and then Yarfa came and I moved back and we formed a row behind him."

Section: Warning against Passing in Front of Someone Praying


Book 9, Number 9.10.36:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Zayd ibn Aslam from Abd ar-Rahman ibn Abi Said al-Khudri from his father that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Do not let anyone pass in front of you when you are praying. Repel him as much as you can, and, if he refuses, fight him, for he is only a shaytan."


Book 9, Number 9.10.37:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Abu'n Nadr, the mawla of Umar ibn Ubaydullah from Busr ibn Said that Zayd ibn Khalid al-Juhani sent him to Abu Juhaym to ask him what he had heard from the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, about passing in front of someone praying. Abu Juhaym said, "The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, 'If the one who passes in front of a man praying knew what he was bringing upon himself it would be better for him to stop for forty than to pass in front of him.' "

Abu'n-Nadr said, "I do not know whether he said forty days or months or years."


Book 9, Number 9.10.38:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Zayd ibn Aslam from Ata ibn Yasar that Kab al-Ahbar said, "If the person who passed in front of a man praying knew what he was bringing on himself, it would be better for him to sink into the ground than to pass in front of him."


Book 9, Number 9.10.39:

Yahya related to me from Malik that he had heard that Abdullah ibn Umar used to disapprove of passing in front of women while they were praying.


Book 9, Number 9.10.40:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Nafi that Abdullah ibn Umar would neither pass in front of anyone, nor let anyone pass in front of him.

Section: Permission to Pass in Front of Someone Praying


Book 9, Number 9.11.41:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab from Ubaydullah ibn Abdullah ibn Utba ibn Masud that Abdullah ibn Abbas said, "I approached, riding on a donkey, while the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, was leading the people in prayer at Mina, and I was, at that time, nearing puberty. I passed in front of part of the row, dismounted, sent the donkey off to graze, and then joined the row, and no one rebuked me for doing so."


Book 9, Number 9.11.42:

Yahya related to me from Malik that he had heard that Said ibn Abi Waqqas used to pass in front of some of the rows while the prayer was in progress.

Malik said, "I consider that it is permissible to do that if the iqama for the prayer has been said and the imam has said the initial takbir and a man cannot find any way into the mosque except by going between the rows."


Book 9, Number 9.11.43:

Yahya related to me from Malik that he had heard that Ali ibn Abi Talib said, "Things that pass in front of a man praying do not break his prayer."

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab from Salim ibn Abdullah that Abdullah ibn Umar used to say, "Things that pass in front of a man praying do not break his prayer."

Section: The Sutra of a Man Praying on a Journey


Book 9, Number 9.12.44:

Yahya related to me from Malik that he had heard that Abdullah ibn Umar would use the animal he was riding as a sutra when he prayed.

Yahya related to me from Malik from Hisham ibn Urwa that his father used to pray in the desert without a sutra.

Section: Brushing Away Small Stones in the Prayer


Book 9, Number 9.13.45:

Yahya related to me from Malik that Abu Jafar al-Qari said, "I saw Abdullah ibn Umar quickly brush away the small stones from the place where he was going to put his forehead as he was going down into sajda."


Book 9, Number 9.13.46:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Yahya ibn Said that he had heard that Abu Dharr used to say, "Brush away the small stones with one sweep, but if you leave them it is better than a red camel."

Section: Straightening the Rows


Book 9, Number 9.14.47:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Nafi that Umar ibn al-Khattab used to order the rows to be straightened, and when they had come to him and told him that the rows were straight he would say the takbir.


Book 9, Number 9.14.48:

Yahya related to me from Malik from his paternal uncle, Abu Suhayl ibn Malik, that his father said, "I was with Uthman ibn Affan when the iqama was said for the prayer and I was talking to him about being assigned a definite allowance by him. I continued talking to him while he was levelling some small stones with his sandals, and then some men that he had entrusted to straighten the rows came and told him that the rows were straight. He said to me, 'Line up in the row,' and then he said the takbir."

Section: Placing One Hand on the Other in the Prayer


Book 9, Number 9.15.49:

Yahya related to me from Malik that Abd al-Karim ibn Abi'l-Mukhariq al-Basri said, "Among things the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said and did are: 'As long as you do not feel ashamed, do whatever you wish', the placing of one hand on the other in prayer (one places the right hand on the left), being quick to break the fast, and delaying the meal before dawn."


Book 9, Number 9.15.50:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Abu Hazim ibn Dinar that Sahl ibn Sad said, "People used to be ordered to place their right hands on their left forearms in the prayer."

Abu Hazim added, "I know for sure that Sahl traces that back to the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace."

Section: Qunut in the Subh Prayer


Book 9, Number 9.16.51:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Nafi that Abdullah ibn Umar did not say qunut in any of the prayers.

Section: Prohibition against a Man Praying when Wishing to Relieve Himself


Book 9, Number 9.17.52:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Hisham ibn Urwa from his father that Abdullah ibn al-Arqam used to lead his companions in prayer. The time for prayer came one day and he went to relieve himself. When he returned, he said, "I heard the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, say, 'If you wish to defecate, you should do so before the prayer.' "


Book 9, Number 9.17.53:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Zayd ibn Aslam that Umar ibn al-Khattab said, "You should not pray while you are holding your bowels."

Section: Waiting for The Prayer and Walking to It


Book 9, Number 9.18.54:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Abu'z Zinad from al-Araj from Abu Hurayra that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "The angels ask for blessings on each one of you as long as he is in the place where he has prayed and has not discharged anything. They say, 'Allah, forgive him. Allah have mercy on him.' "

Malik said, "I do not consider that his words, 'has not discharged anything' refer to anything other than the discharges that break wudu."


Book 9, Number 9.18.55:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Abu'z Zinad from al-Araj from Abu Hurayra that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "You are in prayer as long as the prayer detains you and there is nothing that prevents you from returning to your family except the prayer."


Book 9, Number 9.18.56:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Sumayy, the mawla of Abu Bakr, that Abu Bakr ibn Abd ar-Rahman used to say, "Someone who goes to the mosque in the morning or the afternoon with no intention of going anywhere else, either to learn good or teach it, is like someone who does jihad in the way of Allah and returns with booty."


Book 9, Number 9.18.57:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Nuaym ibn Abdullah al-Mujmir that he heard Abu Hurayra say, "If any one of you prays and then sits down in the spot where he has prayed, the angels ask blessings on him saying, 'Allah, forgive him. Allah, have mercy on him.' And if he moves from the spot where he has prayed and sits elsewhere in the mosque waiting for the prayer, he remains in prayer until he prays."


Book 9, Number 9.18.58:

Yahya related to me from Malik from al Ala ibn Abd ar-Rahman ibn Yaqub from his father from Abu Hurayra that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Shall I tell you the things by which Allah erases wrong actions and by which he raises ranks: the complete and correct performance of wudu in adverse conditions, a great number of steps towards the mosque,and waiting after one prayer for the next prayer. That is the firm hold, that is the firm hold, that is the firm hold."


Book 9, Number 9.18.59:

Yahya related to me from Malik that he had heard that Said ibn al-Musayyab said, "It is said that no-one except a hypocrite leaves the mosque after the call to prayer, except for someone who intends to return."


Book 9, Number 9.18.60:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Amir ibn Abdullah ibn az-Zubayr from Amr ibn Sulaymaz-Zuraqi from Abu Qatadaal-Ansari that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "When you enter the mosque, you should pray two rakas before you sit down."


Book 9, Number 9.18.61:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Abu'nNadr, the mawla of Umar ibn Ubaydullah, that Abu Salama ibn Abd ar-Rahman asked him, "Didn't I see your master sit down before praying after he had entered the mosque?"

Abu'n-Nadr said, "By that he meant Umar ibn Ubaydullah, and he was finding fault with him for sitting down before praying after he had come into the mosque."

Yahya said that Malik said, "It is good to do that but not obligatory."

Section: Placing the Hands Flat on the Surface by the Face when Prostrating


Book 9, Number 9.19.62:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Nafi that Abdullah ibn Umar used to place his palms flat on the surface where he put his forehead. Nafi said, "I have seen him take his hands out from under his burnus on a very cold day and place them on the ground."


Book 9, Number 9.19.63:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Nafi that Abdullah ibn Umar used to say, "When one of you puts his forehead on the ground he should put his palms on the place where he puts his forehead. Then, when he rises, he should raise them, for the hands prostrate just as the face prostrates."

Section: Turning and Clapping when Necessary during the Prayer


Book 9, Number 9.20.64:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Abu Hazim Salama ibn Dinar from Sahl ibn Said as-Saidi that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, went to the tribe of Bani Amr ibn Awf to settle their disputes .The time for the prayer came and the muadhdhin came to Abu Bakr as-Siddiq and said, "Could you lead the people in prayer and I will say the iqama?" He said, "Yes," and Abu Bakr prayed. The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, came back while the people were praying, and approached and joined the row. People clapped, but Abu Bakr did not turn round. The people increased their clapping, and Abu Bakr turned round and saw the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, indicated to him to stay in his place. Abu Bakr raised his hands and praised Allah that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, had told him to do that. Then he drew back until he was in the row, and the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, stepped forward and led the prayer. When he had finished he said, "Abu Bakr, what stopped you from staying put like I told you?" Abu Bakr said, "It is not for Ibn Abi Quhafa to pray in front of the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace."

The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Why did I see you all clapping so much? If something happens to you in the prayer you should say 'Subhana-llah' (Glory be to Allah), and when you say 'Subhana-llah' you will be heard. Clapping is only for women."


Book 9, Number 9.20.65:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Nafi that Ibn Umar would never turn around when praying.


Book 9, Number 9.20.66:

Yahya related to me from Malik that Abu Jafar al-Qari said, "I was praying, and Abdullah ibn Umar was behind me and I was not aware of it. Then I turned round and he prodded me (in disapproval)."

Section: What to Do when Entering while the Imam is in Ruku


Book 9, Number 9.21.67:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab that Abu Umama ibn Sahl ibn Hunayf said, "Zayd ibn Thabit entered the mosque and found the people in ruku, so he went into ruku and then moved slowly forward until he reached the row."


Book 9, Number 9.21.68:

Yahya related to me from Malik that he had heard that Abdullah ibn Masud used to move forward while in ruku.

Section: Prayer on the Prophet, may Allah Bless Him and Grant Him Peace


Book 9, Number 9.22.69:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Abdullah ibn Abi Bakr ibn Hazim from his father that Amr ibn Sulaym az-Zuraqi said, "Abu Humayd as-Saidi told me that they asked the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, how they were to ask for blessings upon him and he replied that they should say, 'O Allah, bless Muhammad and his wives and his descendants asYou blessed the family of Ibrahim, and give baraka to Muhammad and his wives and his descendants as You gave baraka to the family of Ibrahim. You are worthy of Praise and Glorious.'"

Allahumma salli ala Muhammad wa azwajihi wa alihi kama sallaita ala ali Ibrahim, wa barakaala Muhammad wa azwajihi wa alihi kama baraktaalaali Ibrahim, innaka Hamidu'm - Majid.


Book 9, Number 9.22.70:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Nuaym ibn Abdullah al-Mujmirthat Muhammad ibn Abdullah ibn Zayd told him that Abu Masud al Ansari said, "The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, came to us at the gathering of Sad ibn Ubada. Bashir ibn Sad said to him, 'Allah has ordered us to ask for blessings on you, Messenger of Allah. How should we do it?' The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, remained silent until we wished we had not asked him. Then he told us to say, 'O Allah, bless Muhammad and the family of Muhammad as You blessed Ibrahim, and give baraka to Muhammad and the family of Muhammad as You gave baraka to the family of Ibrahim. In all the worlds You are worthy of Praise and Glorious,' and then give the taslim as you have learnt."

Allahumma salli ala Muhammad wa ali Muhammad kama sallaita Ibrahim, wa baraka ala Muhammad wa ali Muhammad kama baraktaala ali Ibrahim. Fi'l alamin, innaka Hamidu'm - Majid.


Book 9, Number 9.22.71:

Yahya related to me from Malik that Abdullah ibn Dinar said, "I saw Abdullah ibn Umar stop by the grave of the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and ask for blessings on the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and on Abu Bakr and Umar."

Section: How to Do the Prayer in General


Book 9, Number 9.23.72:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Nafi from Ibn Umar that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, used to pray two rakas before dhuhr and two rakas after it, two rakas after maghrib, in his house, and two rakas after isha. He did not pray after jumua until he had left, and then he prayed two rakas.


Book 9, Number 9.23.73:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Abu'z Zinad from al-Araj from Abu Hurayra that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Do you see the direction I am facing here? By Allah, neither your concentration nor your ruku is hidden from me. I can see you behind my back."


Book 9, Number 9.23.74:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Nafi from Abdullah ibn Umar that when the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, used to go to Quba (to pray), he would walk as well as ride.


Book 9, Number 9.23.75:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Yahya ibn Said from an-Numan ibn Murra that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said,"What about drunkenness, stealing and adultery? "That was before anything had been revealed about them. They said, "Allah and His Messenger know best." He said, "They are excesses and in them is a punishment. And the worst of thieves is the one who steals his prayer." They said, "How does he steal his prayer, Messenger of Allah?" He replied, "He does not do ruku or sajda properly."


Book 9, Number 9.23.76:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Hisham ibn Urwa from his father that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Do some of the prayers in your houses."


Book 9, Number 9.23.77:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Nafi that Abdullah ibn Umar used to say, "When a sick man is unable to prostrate he should motion with his head, and not raise anything to his forehead."


Book 9, Number 9.23.78:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Rabia ibn Abi Abd ar-Rahman that if Abdullah ibn Umar arrived at the mosque and the people had already prayed, he would begin with the obligatory prayer and not pray anything before it.


Book 9, Number 9.23.79:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Nafi that Abdullah ibn Umar passed by a man who was praying and said, "Peace be upon you," and the man replied to him. Abdullah ibn Umar returned to him and said, "When someone says, 'Peace be upon you' to you while you are praying do not reply, but give a signal with your hand."


Book 9, Number 9.23.80:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Nafi that Abdullah ibn Umar used to say, "Someone who only remembers that he has forgotten a prayer when he is praying the next prayer behind an imam, should pray the prayer he has forgotten after the imam has said the taslim, and then pray the other one again."


Book 9, Number 9.23.81:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Yahya ibn Said from Muhammad ibn Yahya ibn Habban that his paternal uncle Wasi ibn Habban said, "I was praying, and Abdullah ibn Umar was resting his back on the wall of the qibla. When I had finished the prayer I turned towards him on my left hand side. Abdullah ibn Umar said, 'What stopped you from turning away to your right?' I replied, 'I saw you and turned towards you.' Abdullah said, 'You have spoken correctly. People say that you should turn away to your right, but when you pray, you can turn whichever way you wish. If you like, to your right, and if you like, to your left.' "


Book 9, Number 9.23.82:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Hisham ibn Urwa from his father that one of the muhajirun in whom he saw no harm asked Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al-As, "Can I pray in a place where camels are watered?" Abdullah replied, "No, but you can pray in a sheep-pen."


Book 9, Number 9.23.83:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab that Said ibn al-Musayyab said, "Which prayer is it when you remain in the sitting position in every raka?'' Said said, "It is maghrib when you miss one raka, and that is the sunna in all the prayers."

Section: Prayer in General


Book 9, Number 9.24.84:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Amir ibn Abdullah ibn az-Zubayr from Amr ibn Sulaym az-Zuraqi from Abu Qutada al-Ansari that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, used to pray carrying Umama, who was the daughter of his daughter Zaynab by Abu'l As ibn Rabia ibn Abd Shams. When he prostrated, he put her down, and when he got up he carried her.


Book 9, Number 9.24.85:

Yahya related to me from Abu'z-Zinad from al-Araj from Abu Hurayra that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "A group of angels in the night and a group of angels in the day alternate with each other among you, and gather together at the time of the asr and fajr prayers. Then those that have spent the night among you ascend, and He asks them, and He knows best, 'How did you leave my slaves?' and they say, 'When we left them they were praying, and when we came to them they were praying.' "


Book 9, Number 9.24.86:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Hisham ibn Urwa from his father from A'isha, the wife of the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Tell Abu Bakr to lead the people in prayer." A'isha said, "Messenger of Allah, when Abu Bakr stands in your place his voice does not reach the ears of the people because of his weeping, so tell Umar to lead the people in prayer." He said, "Tell Abu Bakr to lead the people in prayer." A'isha continued, "I told Hafsa to tell him that when Abu Bakr stood in his place his voice did not reach the ears of the people because of his weeping, and that he should tell Umar to lead the people in prayer. Hafsa did so, and the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, 'You are the companions of Yusuf! (referring to the women who cut their hands when they saw the beauty of Yusuf). Tell Abu Bakr to lead the people in prayer!' "

A'isha added that Hafsa said to her, "I have never had anything good from you!"


Book 9, Number 9.24.87:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab from Ata ibn Yazid al-Laythi that Ubaydullah ibn Adi ibnal-Khiyar said, "Once when the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, was sitting with some people, a man came to him and spoke secretly to him. Nobody knew what he had said until the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, disclosed that he had asked for permission to kill one of the hypocrites. When he disclosed this, the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, 'Doesn't he testify that there is no god but Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah?' The man replied, 'Of course, but he hasn't really done so.' He said, 'Doesn't he do the prayer?' and the man replied, 'Of course, but he doesn't really do the prayer.' He said, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, 'Those are the ones whom Allah has forbidden me (to kill).' "


Book 9, Number 9.24.88:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Zayd ibn Aslam from Ata ibn Yasar that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "O Allah! Do not make my grave an idol that is worshipped. The anger on those who took the graves of their Prophets as places of prostration was terrible."


Book 9, Number 9.24.89:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab from Mahmud ibn Rabi al-Ansari that Utban ibn Malik, who was a blind man, used to lead his people in prayer, and he said to the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, "Sometimes it is dark and rainy and there is a lot of water around outside, and I am a man who has lost his sight. Messenger of Allah, pray in a certain place in my house so that I can take it as a place to pray." The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, came to him and said, "Where would you like me to pray?" He indicated a place to him and the Messengerof Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, prayed there.


Book 9, Number 9.24.90:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab from Abbad ibn Tamim from his paternal uncle that he saw the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, lying down in the mosque with one foot on top of the other.

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab from Said ihn al-Musayyab that Umar ibn al Khattab and Uthman ibn Affan, may Allah be pleased with them, used to do the same.


Book 9, Number 9.24.91:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Yahya ibn Said that Abdullah ibn Masud said to a certain man, "You are in a time when men of understanding (fuqaha) are many and Qur'an reciters are few, when the limits of behaviour defined in the Qur'an are guarded and its letters are lost, when few people ask and many give, when they make the prayer long and the khutba short, and put their actions before their desires. A time will come upon men when their fuqaha are few but their Qur'an reciters are many, when the letters of the Qur'an are guarded carefully but its limits are lost, when many ask but few give, when they make the khutba long but the prayer short, and put their desires before their actions."


Book 9, Number 9.24.92a:

Yahya related to me from Malik that Yahya ibn Said said, "I have heard that the first of the actions of a slave to be considered on the day of rising is the prayer. If it is accepted from him, the rest of his actions will be considered, and if it is not accepted from him, none of his actions will be considered."


Book 9, Number 9.24.92b:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Hisham ibn Urwa from his father that A'isha, the wife of the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "The actions which the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, loved most were those which were done most constantly."


Book 9, Number 9.24.94:

Yahya related to me from Malik that he had heard from Amir ibn Sad ibn Abi Waqqas that his father said, "There were two brothers, one of whom died forty nights before the other. The merit of the first was being mentioned in the presence of the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and he said, 'Wasn't the other one a muslim?' They said, 'Of course, Messenger of Allah, and there was no harm in him.' The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, 'What will make you realise what his prayer has brought him. The prayer is like a deep river of sweet water running by your door into which you plunge five times a day. How much of your dirtiness do you think that will leave? You do not realise what his prayer has brought him.' "


Book 9, Number 9.24.95:

Yahya related to me from Malik that he had heard that if some one passed by Ata ibn Yasar in the mosque with something to trade, he would call him and ask, "What is the matter with you? What do you want?" If the man said that he wished to trade with him, he would say, "You need the market of this world. This is the market of the next world."


Book 9, Number 9.24.96:

Yahya related to me from Malik that he had heard that Umar ibn al-Khattab set aside an area near the mosque called al-Butayha and said, "Whoever wishes to talk nonsense or recite poetry or raise his voice should go to that area."

Section: Stimulation of the Desire for Prayer in General


Book 9, Number 9.25.97:

Yahya related to me from Malik from his paternal uncle Abu Suhayl ibn Malik that his father heard Talha ibn Ubaydullah say, "Once one of the people of Najd came to the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace. He had dishevelled hair and although his voice could be heard we could not make out what he was saying until he drew nearer and then we found he was asking about Islam. The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said to him, 'There are five prayers during the day and the night.' He said, 'Do I have to do anything else besides that?' The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, added, 'And fasting the month of Ramadan.' He said, 'Is there anything else I have to do?' He said, 'No, except what you do of your own accord.' The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, mentioned zakat. The man said, 'Is there anything else that I have to do?' He said, 'No, except what you do of your own accord.'

He continued, "The man went away saying, 'By Allah, I won't do any more than this, nor will I do any less.' The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, 'That man will be successful, if he is telling the truth.'


Book 9, Number 9.25.98:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Abu'z-Zinad from al-Araj from Abu Hurayra that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Shaytan ties three knots at the back of your head when you sleep, and he seals the place of each knot with 'You have a long night ahead, so sleep.' If you wake up and remember Allah, a knot is untied. If you do wudu, a knot is untied. If you pray, a knot is untied, and morning finds you lively and in good spirits, and if not, morning finds you in bad spirits and lazy."